Saturday, February 12, 2011

French Toast - Mom's Way!

One of my favorite things is French Toast the way my mom taught me how to make it.  I have quite a collection of cooking utensils, knives and iron cookware that has been handed down from my grandmother and some of it has to be over 100 years old.  The best thing about this dish is it requires only one utensil; a long tine fork with wooden handle.  I beat the egg mixture and flip the French  Toast all with this fork.  I know it looks a little rusty but, trust me, it's cleaned and dried every time I use it.  If you ever see one like it at an estate sale or thrift shop buy it and you will not be sorry.  It is the best thing for beating eggs on the planet and far better  than a whisk.  This recipe makes 4 pieces of French Toast






Nena's Fork!

French Toast 

4 Slices of your favorite bread (almost Stale is fine)
2 eggs beaten
Pinch of Salt
2  Shakes Cinnamon
1/4 tspn real vanilla extract
1/4 cup Milk
Two Tbsp Butter

Beat two eggs, add a pinch of salt , a couple dashes of cinnamon and the vanilla extract.  Beat a bit more and add the milk.  If calories are no concern half and half or heavy cream can be added as well.  I usually do this around the holidays and people love the creaminess and richer flavor of the the thicker dairy products.



Heat your skillet to medium high and add the butter just before you add the dipped bread.  Having a tightly packed dipping and cooking station really helps.



Soak the bread in the egg wash for good 30 seconds  prior to flipping and repeat the process.  Place the coated bread into the hot pan and try to leave a little room in between slices so they don't stick to each other when being flipped.  I usually do two slices at a time to avoid over browning.




Today we served the French Toast with Trader Joe's Uncured Turkey Bacon which has not nitrates or preservatives and is quite delicious!!




No comments:

Post a Comment