Friday, July 22, 2011

The Fishery- Pacific Beach

Back in SoCal for a member guest golf tournament with my dear friend RichDonnelly.  Every time I leave Tucson in the summer and come to this part of southern California I am reminded of why so many people live here.  The temperature ranges from about 65 at night to high 70's during the day.  Great golf weather and just great overall.  When I left my family behind a couple of days ago it was almost 100 degrees while driving to the airport at 8:30 in the morning.

I went to dinner with Rich, his lovey wife Jocelyn and thier son Brian at The Fishery in Pacific Beach and boy was it tasty.  The place has a real neighborhood feel, similar to the Kingfisher in Tucson.  The Fishery is not only a restaurant with an open and airy feel, simple and elegant ambience but also has an actual fish market with ultra fesh and very tasty looking fish of all types caught in local waters on display when you enter.

We were seated promptly and our waitress was skilled and personable with good comments on their wine list and authentic feedback  and guidance on the entrees and appetizers.    We began our meal with fresh mussels prepared in a mild, garlicy sauce with linguica sausage.  The mussels were plump, well seasoned and the sauce had just a hint of spice.  We also had stemaed clams in a mild buttery sauce with fresh herbs and lemon and they were quite good as well.


I am a big proponent of having the most local fishes and chose the Sea Bass, pan seared and accompanied by freshly grilled vegetables.  The fish was sweet, succculent and perfectly prepared and I loved it.  The grilled veggies sere served cold beneath the fish which surprised me but once I made the mental adjustment they were excellent.  Rich had the halibut which he ordered in a slightly different format than the menu preparation.  It was pan seared and accompanied by tiny roasted potatoes and, of course, we swapped samples and I really liked his as well.  In fact, I think I was out-orderd which annoys me to no end.  I always want to have the best thing on the menu but alas, it cannot always be so...

Desert was a warm chocolate cake with berries that was just the right size to share and we all went home happy. 

I would highly recommend this place to family and friends.  It has great feel, great food and an extensive wine list with reasonable prices. 

http://thefishery.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment