Monday, May 2, 2011

The Deviled Egg Throwdown


Later is better than never...


The Wniners!!




Meg and Patrick---Ready to Step in if it gets Nasty!
Nick, Rachael Wambach and Tara Murphy 
Hello Blog Followers,

This Easter my mom came up with the brilliant idea to have a deviled
egg throw down, Bobby Flay style. Only my mama could come up with such
an awesome event for our Easter gathering. She bestowed on me the
honor of being in charge of the contest. And this was the email with
the rules that I sent out to the contestants (our family and friends):

Greetings Everyone! 
 I have taken it upon myself to become the Grand Master of Ceremonies
for the Deviled Egg Throwdown - this makes me the Egg Master! I'm
sending out this email to set some guildelines.  We've decided that
each contestant can bring one recipe of their best deviled eggs!
Everyone needs to create enough deviled eggs so that 14 people can
taste - we would prefer if there was no cutting the eggs in half, or
really into quarters, because things are going to get messy and no one
wants that. There is no pressure for anyone to eat the entire deviled
egg - this is a throwdown, a bite or a taste will do and if you feel
the need to spit it out afterwards, so be it.

Upon arrival at the Murphy household, contestants are to have their
eggs ready and brought over in a tupperware, no need to bring your own
plates. We are going to use all the same plates so no one can identify
the eggs by the dish. Eggs should be given to myself and I will be
doing the plating - my hands will be washed.

Please direct any questions or concerns to me - you can contact me by
email or by phone 390-3802.

Bottom line, this contest is worthy of being on the food network. I
expect the quality that I see on television. ;) Everyone is going to
get to vote for their favorite top three and I will tally the votes up
to determine the winner. We are going to have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
winners. There will be EGGCELLENT prizes waiting.

Best of luck to you egg chefs.

Fondly,
Meg-masta the Egg-masta 2011

After I sent out the email I created the voting system and set up the
tasting. It was a blind tasting and everyone voted for what they
thought were the best tasting eggs. Nick Wambach, age 10, won the
youngest contestant award. I know that at age 10 I could not make eggs
near as delicious as his, they were darn tasty! My dad, "Murph," came
in third place with his wonderful take on deviled eggs. You guys
should get him to put that recipe up! My grandma, Mona, and Grandpa
Ray won second place with their variety of three different egg recipes
(they must've forgotten the one recipe rule, but being the
compassionate egg master that I am, I let it slide). And finally, the
grand prize winner and 2011's best egg chef went to my Uncle James,
with his simple and classic recipe. Mm Mm Mmmm the egg throw down was
fun and I'm sure my mom will come up with another stellar throw down
for our next holiday. 

 Until the next time my bloggers,
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment