Sunday, April 17, 2011

Weck's In Albequerque for Huevo's Rancheros

Just got back from an outrageously good fishing trip to the San Juan river in New Mexico with some buddies.  We flew out of Tucson on Thursday morning at 6:00 am and arrived in ABQ just in time for breakfast.  My buddy Hank Brandt has lived there for about a year and has been dialing in to the local food scene in a manner worthy of the native New Yorker that he is.  He took us to what one might call local joint with all the flavors and aromas that might bring forth.  I can't speak to the whole menu but I can speak to the hearty and flavorful breakfast we all had the pleasure of enjoying.  I chose the Huevos Rancheros which may have been the best I have had in years.  Picture two corn tortillas, topped with two over easy eggs smothered in a spicy blend of red and green chile sauces,  available on request and known and "Christmas" by the locals, surrounded by  carne adovada, hash browns and perfectly prepared pinto beans and smothered in more of the "Christmas" combo of red and green chile sauce all with melted yellow cheese on top.  Outrageously delicious!

My fishing buddies all opted for the "Papas" which consist of more hash browns than I eat in a month, covered in either carnitas or carne adovada with two eggs and about a quart of their spicy and delectable red or green chile on top and, you guessed, more melted cheese on top!  Luckily, we avoided the food coma and made it to the San Juan River without needing to stop for lunch.  

Let's put it this way; if  I ever have a two hour layover in the ABQ airport again, I am hopping in a cab and going to Weck's for more Huevos!

http://www.wecksinc.com/

PS----!!!!

Still having trouble with blogspot posting my pic's from Picassa and may have to move the blog if they don't figure it out soon!!

Come on back later this week for some comments on a fun little winery called "Wines of the San Juan" that we found along the way in a town called Turley, New Mexico.  Yes, that was not a typo, even though  the venerable Turley Zinfandels are among my favorite wines of all time, I had no idea there was a town bearing its name in the high desert of New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment