Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Confessions of a Cookbook Junkie...

My Fav's

Let's face it, none of us has the best recipe for every dish and true chef's are always looking for fun new ways to spin an old recipe up to the next level.  I admit to gleaning bits and pieces from my favorite cookbooks into my own version of great new ways to prepare both old and new dishes.  Of course, there are the old stand by's like Julia Child and Martha Stewart both of whom helped shape my thinking about food.  I even loved Graham Kerr as a kid and watched the Galloping Gourmet constantly after school.  My first big dish was Kerr's version of Chicken Parmigiana that I made for the whole family when I was in the 6th grade!  Thanks to the Food Network, I have been exposed to more great chefs, more great recipes and more great techniques for preparing food than I ever dreamed imaginable.  To that end, I have decided to add a few of my favorite cookbooks old and new.

My current favorite is the Barefoot Contessa and we own all of her books. I take lots of Ina's recipes and put my own spin on them and they  usually turn out great.  In addition, if you prepare any one of her recipes according to her precise directions they will turn out great every time.   My current favorite is  Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?: Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips

For incredible inspiration and simple techniques for preparing Italian dishes that will awe your friends and family I absolutely love PatriciaWells "Trattoria." Do not miss her goat cheese and garlic spread  which can be made in minutes and will draw a crowd around the appetizer tray every time.Patricia Wells' Trattoria: Simple and Robust Fare Inspired by the Small Family Restaurants of Italy.  Thanks to our dear friend Renee for bestowing this fine book on our family as a gift many years ago.

One of my all time favorites that I have relied upone since the 80's is Marlene Sorosky's year round cookbook.   If you get it her 4th of July chapter is a masterpiece.  It's out of print so go to your local bookstore and see if you can find a copy.  Marlene Sorosky's Year-Round Holiday Cookbook

For seafood and the like I have never found anything that compares to Jasper White's complete guide to shore food.  I grew up at the Jersey Shore but ironically enough my Mom was allergic to seafood so it was never served in my home.  Luckily, as Catholics we never ate meat on Fridays so I would sit at the counter of one of Jersey's many great diners and explore the realms of fried clams, fresh broiled flounder and the occasional lobster tail.  The depth of this book is not just in the recipes but in the cooking techniques.  So if you buy a live lobster for the first time, this book willl guide you step by step from prepation to sucking the meat out  of the feelers to making a perfect drawn butter.  If you don't have this one, run out and buy a copy before Summer!The Summer Shack Cookbook: The Complete Guide to Shore Food.

For everyday cooking I was heavily influenced by Martha's clear instructions, tasty recipes and the consistently simple and  delicious food she is known for.  Maybe it's because she is a Jersey Girl or maybe it's because she came from the investment business but either way her older books are among my favorites.The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook has been in my libray since it was published and I refer to it regularly.

Finally, it is time to pay homage to the Empress: Julia Child.  I grew up watching her show on PBS in New York.  She was a pioneer and she really cooked.  In that light it didn't always go as perfectly as many of the shows you may watch on the Food Network but the final product always looked delectable in every way.  If you  will only ever own one cookbook, this is the one.  We have a First Edition that is as well worn as your favorite Bible and it's got bits and pieces of the recipes we've prepared over the years stuck between the pages.Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. 1 is a must and I always see older editions at estate sales and used book shops.  Don't be afraid to write in the margins and make modifications to any recipe you alter.  That way your kids will really have your recipes when you pass your collection on to them.

One day I will write my own cookbook but for now, these are Murph's Picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment